Monday, December 21, 2009

Getting Ready To Close Out The Year

Nobody asked me but...

I haven't posted anything here since late September. Not that I havent' had anything to say - because nothing could be further from the truth. I've even started several different post but alas, no completions. So, I guess I'll just throw a little mud on the wall.

"It's Complicated?"

I guess I'm overly simple. In my little brain the question "What is your marital status?" has only two possible answers - Single or Married. Looking, dating, engaged are all sub-sets of single. If you are separated you're still married (act accordingly). Divorced is an event - you're single. Facebook introduced me to a new "status" - "it's complicated." What the heck is that? I met an "it's complicated" person this year. Just want you to know - if you run across this blog - I'm praying for your marriage. God can simplify the complicated.

"The Poor"
(Religion and Politics)

If you've read my previous blog post you have an inkling of how I grew up and what shaped my philosophy on life. For me it's not "theory" but a way you live your life - both religion and politics).

I recently got sucked into a conversation (I knew better) that was going quite calmly then suddenly ended up with someone pointing a finger at me and saying "I don't like your attitude toward the poor." Wish I'd had some clever comeback but being me, human and fallible (not to mention egotistical) I responded angrily, "if I wanted what you have, I'd do what you do. If you want what I've got, than you can do what I've done." We stormed off in different directions. I'm glad now I didn't post the whole nine yards before I heard a talk on...

"Grace"

I attend Journey Community Church in La Mesa (and if you're in driving distance, you should too!) :) In a recent series titled, "HELLO, GOD" our teaching pastor Ed Noble invited John Lynch, the teaching pastor at Open Door Fellowship in Phoenix. I couldn't do his talk justice and won't try. I just know I'm grateful for His grace. That, of course, just reminded me of a song that has touched me in a similar manner:

Give Me Grace
(Andy Gullahorn)

Last time I was here
I swore that I would change
and said only a fool
would make the same mistakes.
Being the fool I am,
I’m back again.

I’ve got no good excuse.
I’m out of things to say.
I’m starting to believe
I’ll always be this way.
My only hope inside
is that you would hear my cry.

Give me grace for when I can’t stop falling.
Give me strength to help me get back up.
Give me faith without proof.
Give me wisdom and truth.
Give me You.

I know I’ve got a choice
but I don’t want to choose.
I’ve tried that before
and I know I stand to lose.
I can not control
these failings on my own.

Give me grace for when I can’t stop falling.
Give me strength to help me get back up.
Give me faith without proof.
Give me wisdom and truth.
Give me You.

1 comment:

  1. Oh yah... I actually noticed after my last comment... but the 'status' on facebook says "relationship status"... not "marital status"... so on marital status, yah I guess either married or single yah? But... as for "relationships"... ? Do you still say no 'complications'? Or really... relationships are ALWAYS 'complicated' arent they... so truly everyone could ut that :) Just some more thoughts lol

    ReplyDelete